A delicious and colourful pie that combines the refreshing taste of zucchini, red pepper & spring onions with the strong taste of smoked cheese & pork. I really think you should try it!
- 750g zucchini, grated & strained well
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 150g smoked pork steak, cubed
- 150g smoked cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp trahanas or semolina
- 1 dose Greek phyllo ver.1 (4 pastry sheets)
- some flour for rolling out
- olive oil for brushing
- The recipe is for 2 swirl pies, 32cm/12.6inches in diameter. If you wish to make one pie, just reduce all the ingredients (except the egg and the pepper) in half and instead of four pastry sheets, you’ ll need only two.
Mix the shredded zucchini with ½ tsp of salt into a strainer, & set aside for 1 hour.
Then squeeze out all the excess liquid and tranfer into a mixing bowl.
Add the cheese, the onions, the pepper, the smoked pork, the egg and the trahanas & mix well. Optionally season with pepper.
Roll out the first dough package into a large rectangle sheet, appx. 40×50cm/15.7″×19.6″
Using a spoon, put filling along the sheet’s shorter sides.
Cover the filling with the sheet and roll towards the middle.
Cut in half.
Now you have two rolls.
Gently stretch each roll until its length is doubled.
Swirl the first roll creating a spiral.
Place it in the center of a lightly oiled pan. (32cm/12.6″ diameter)
Take the edge of the other roll and carefully transfer it into the pan, encircling the first one.
Repeat the process for the second pastry sheet and fill your pan.
Brush with olive oil & prick the dough with a fork to allow air circulation.
Bake in a preheated oven, at 190°C/375°F, for about 45min until it’s golden brown.
- Trahanas is added to the filling to absorb the excess moisture. You can replace it with semolina or white rice.
- If the sheet is torn, cut a small piece of dough from the edge and seal the hole.
- Wrap the pie -baked or unbaked- with food membrane and keep it in the freezer for up to a month. Place it in the fridge overnight to thaw it properly whether you want to reheat or bake it.